Play Woodlawn Bingo!
Download the Bingo card, or pick one up at various Woodlawn locations and begin playing.
1. Take a selfie or group shot in front of each site and send it as a message to our Facebook page (Heritage Alliance of Pawtucket).
2. Woodlawn Bingo is not a contest; you can play at your own pace. The game will run until October 31, 2022.
3. Get five in a row and you can choose a $25.00 gift card from one of the participating businesses. We’ll be in touch to ask how you’d like to receive your prize.
4. There are no limits on the number of people who can win, but each person can win only once.
5. Please be considerate of all properties and occupants when taking your selfies. Please don’t trespass; you only need to show us that you found the location.
List of Gift Card Choices:
In 1875, a Baptist Sunday School was founded by members of the First Baptist Church in Pawtucket In its early years, the group met in the Fairmount Fire House at the corner of Brown and Washington Streets. By the 1890s there were 59 families attending, and they decided to establish an independent parish and build their own church building, which came to be known as the Woodlawn Baptist Church. The current building was constructed in 1901, and was significantly altered in 1937.
Fire Station #1
Gilbane’s Service Station
Listed on the National Register of Historic Places in 1983, this unusual building with an Art Deco tower was built in 1931 by Gilbane as an automotive service station which offered repair services and fuel. The Gilbane organization owned three locations in Pawtucket and operated an extensive fuel oil and oil burner business. Their non-automotive operations gradually expanded, and the Pawtucket Avenue station was eventually converted to office and private garage space for the company.
The building is now home to businesses like Ramon’s Pizza and M&K Wholesale.
The Fifth Ward Wardroom, designed by William R. Walker & Son in 1886, was originally a polling place and meeting hall. It was later used as a school and the Henrietta I. Drummond Post of the American Legion before being converted into a single family residence. At the time of this building’s construction, Pawtucket was a newly incorporated city and had given up its town-meeting form of governance. This is one of only three extant wardrooms in Rhode Island—one other is the First Ward Wardroom on Fountain Street in Pawtucket, also designed by William R. Walker & Son.
Fifth Ward Wardroom
In 1844, French speaking parishioners in Pawtucket asked Bishop Hendricken for permission to attend mass at the small chapel connected to the Woodlawn Home for the Aged until they could raise the funds for their own building. The parish trustees secured a loan in 1886 to finance construction of a small wooden chapel on Quincy Avenue (on land over which I-95 now runs).
Church of the Immaculate Conception of the Blessed Virgin Mary, commonly known as St. Mary’s, is the city's oldest Catholic church, and the second oldest in Rhode Island. In 1829, despite the downturn in Pawtucket’s prosperity, there was an increasing number of Catholics (predominantly Irish) working in nearby factories and living in this neighborhood. Workers assured industrialist David Wilkinson that they would settle in Pawtucket permanently if they had a church, so he gave them a parcel of land on George Street. Because of the economic depression, the parishioners were able to raise only half the cost of the new building—the remainder was paid by the archdiocese of Boston.
Mineral Spring Cemetery
Civil War Memorial
This monument was erected by the Women’s Relief Corps in 1897. It is made of Westerly granite, extracted by the Smith Granite Company for the cost of $2537. It was formally dedicated on Memorial Day in 1902. There are twenty-eight markers inside the circular fence.
The Woman's Relief Corps (WRC) is the official women's auxiliary to the Grand Army of the Republic. They were formally recognized in 1883, for the purpose of perpetuating the memory of the Grand Army of the Republic, to help promote and run Memorial Day events, to petition the federal government for nurse pensions, and to promote patriotic education.
Varnum T. Barber House
This house was built in 1901 and is named for Varnum T. Barber, a superintendent at the Slater Cotton Company. Beech Street was cut off by the I-95 construction and most of the houses that were “in the way” were demolished. The buildings were claimed by eminent domain and their occupants evicted, though one house was moved from Beech Street to Mulberry Street.
James Childs House
The James E. Childs House was built in 1888 and designed by the architect Albert Hadfield Humes, whose works include Pawtucket Fire Station No. 2 (now the Pawtucket Senior Center) and the Cogswell Tower at Jenks Park in Central Falls.
Statue in front of Jeanne Jugan House
Jeanne Jugan, the founder of the Little Sisters of the Poor, was born in France in 1792. Her father was lost at sea when she was 4 years old. To help her mother support the family, Jeanne left home to work in a hospital. For many years she lived in a small apartment and led a quiet life of piety and good works. On a winter night in 1839, she saw a blind, paralyzed, elderly woman out in the cold alone. Jeanne brought the woman home to care for her. Eventually, more elderly and destitute women were brought to her doorstep and volunteers came to help. By 1841 the group outgrew Jeanne’s small apartment and moved into a larger house. They began calling themselves the Servants of the Poor and in 1844 were officially named Sisters of the Poor. In 1849 the name Little Sisters of the Poor was adopted. In March 1881, five Little Sisters traveled from France to open a home for the elderly of Rhode Island. They lived for two years in Providence and moved to Pawtucket in 1883. The current building was constructed in 1978 and is still staffed by the Little Sisters of the Poor.
The monument, which includes a life-size bronze sculpture, was built by sculptor Charles Parker Dowler to honor fallen Pawtucket firefighter Samuel Smith Collyer. After a stint in the post office, Collyer became a machinist and worked for about seven years before partnering with his uncle, Nathan S. Collyer. Nathan Collyer died in 1877 and Samuel inherited the business two years later.
Gold Machinery Mural
Founded in 1961, Gold Machinery has been serving the machinery and equipment needs of factories around the world for more than 60 years. Gold is a third-generation family business with locations along the East Coast, between Boston and New York.
In 2019, the city reopened Payne Park after extensive improvements, including a 2,500 square foot splash pad, lighted basketball courts, stage area, walking path, and new playground. The park renovations, which cost $1 million, were paid for through a $400,000 grant from RIDEM, $500,000 in CDBG funds, and a Parks and Recreation Bond.
Samuel Slater Middle School
Samuel Slater (1768-1835) is often called the "Father of the American Industrial Revolution." American industrialists, such as Moses Brown, had been struggling in the 18th century to build a consistently working spinning machine. Moses, with his son-in-law William Almy and his cousin Smith Brown, had started a mill in Pawtucket. They wanted to manufacture cloth for sale, using water-powered spinning wheels, jennies, and frames. They acquired a 32-spindle frame "after the Arkwright pattern," but could not operate it. The Arkwright design was named for its inventor Richard Arkwright who was English, and the English prevented the mill designs from being taken out of their country. Twenty-one year-old Samuel Slater was working with the Arkwright mill design in England, but recognized that if he wanted to become a superstar in the textile industry, he would have to emigrate to America. In 1790 he wrote to Moses Brown offering his services, and Moses accepted. Samuel signed a contract to replicate the British designs. The deal provided Slater with the funds to build the water frames and necessary machinery, with a half share in the profits. In 1793, Slater and Brown opened their first factory in Pawtucket.
Shea High School
Originally called Pawtucket West High School, Shea High was designed by architect John F. O'Malley and built in 1938-39 with funding from the Public Works Administration.
The Hope Webbing Company was founded in 1883 in Providence by Charles Sisson and Oscar A. Steere. The business was incorporated in 1880 and by 1895 employed 350 men, women, and children to make 1,500,000 yards of products per day, including cotton, jute, worsted wool, hat bands, non-elastic webs, and hose supports. By 1930, the company claimed to be the country’s largest manufacturer (under one roof) of narrow fabrics—1,200 hundred looms and 800 braiding machines were producing belting, banding, binding, braids, and cords for life preservers, mattresses, pajamas, suspenders, trunks, and underwear.
Urban Smart Growth, a real estate development and management company, acquired the mill complex in 2005 when it was being threatened with demolition for the erection of a big-box retail store. Now known as Hope Artiste village, the “community complex” is home to a diverse collection of businesses like The Met, Lock & Clue escape rooms, The Empowerment Factory, Providence Art Glass and Lighting, and BreakTime Bowl & Bar.
Constructed in 1928 as a service station for a Ford auto dealer, the building was later leased to the Mobil Oil Company and named for its operator, Arthur J. Normand. Before 1915, gas stations were designed as utilitarian structures exhibiting little or no architectural elaboration. Around 1915, the bungalow or Prairie School style became the predominant form used by regional and national oil companies to establish their corporate images.
Ama’s Variety Shop
A beloved figure in the community, Ama Amponsah (known to many as "Mama Ama”) owned and operated Ama’s Variety until her passing in 2021.
Vicente's, a small Brockton-based grocery chain with two other locations, opened this store “where the Ocean State Job Lot used to be” in the summer of 2021. They specialize in international foods, including African, Portuguese, Central American, and Colombian cuisines.
The Potter-Collyer House was built in 1863 as a one-and-a-half story timber-frame cottage with a gable roof, a style popular in Pawtucket during the mid-19th century. Subsequent additions and expansions (1877, 1895, 1902) added a two-story hip roof and significantly altered the floor plan, but the original Gothic bargeboards have remained. Elisha O. Potter, a machinist, built the house and four years later sold it to Samuel S. Collyer, who became the Chief of the Pawtucket Fire Department in 1874. The house was moved 400 feet from its original location on the west side of Pine Street in 1962 during the construction of I-95.
Bethany Free Baptist Church
Rhode Island, from its early acceptance of Baptist principles, was fertile territory for the vigorous growth of Freewill Baptist interests, but there was no church in the state. John Colby, a minister from New Hampshire, visited in 1812 and organized a church in Burrillville. Colby died in 1817 and in 1818, Clarissa H. Danforth, of Vermont, preached her first sermon in Burrillville. With Joseph White she organized the second church at Greenville in 1820. In that same year, Rev. Ray Potter organized a Free Baptist church in Pawtucket. This church was founded in 1892, and in 2017 celebrated its 125th anniversary.
Henrietta Drummond Memorial
This plaque is dedicated to the U.S. Army nurse Henrietta Isabella Drummond, the first Rhode Islander to make the ultimate sacrifice during World War I.
The house was built in 1878 for Theodore Waters Foster and was later sold in 1882 to George W. Payne (the son of aforementioned Charles Payne, and owner of G.W. Payne & Company). Born on May 19, 1847, Foster joined the Rhode Island Cavalry in 1863 and served in the American Civil War under Nathaniel P. Banks in the Red River Campaign. In 1873, he formed a jewelry manufacturing partnership on Chestnut Street in Providence named White, Foster & Company, which became major manufacturer of silver giftware such as jewelry, trays, pins, shoe horns, vanity sets, and desk accessories.